Friday, April 6, 2018

Challenging Fear of Presenting

    I was a student of clinical lab science at AUST. In this major, every student needs to make a power point presentation about a clinical topic and present it in front of their classmates at the end of each course. 
    I was taking virology course back then and as every course requirement, we were asked to choose a virus and talk about it and the disease it causes. When I searched google, I found a lot about a virus called Corona virus, so I suggested that one and two other to the doctor to help me choose one, unfortunately he loved that one topic rather than the others; that had made me happy and proud, but the shock was that he obliged me to make a seminar about it! I fear presentations more than seeing a lion running to eat me, how could I present in front of doctors and all students of the department and faculty!! This virus was making epidemic back then in 2014 so the doctor wanted me to present about it in a way to alert people about its danger on population. That seminar was really a challenge to me. 
    I started preparing for it two weeks before, I visited the auditorium to experience a little bit the atmosphere, friends sat playing the role of the doctors helping me breaking the wall of fear. I worked really hard to reach the big day, I don't forget how much the doctor Issam Mansour, who was the instructor of this course, helped me feel confident and strong. The due date came, doctors, employers, and students from the faculty of health science and other faculties were watching, I was stressed out all eyes on me, but hopefully I broke the ice and put all the pieces together and completed the mission successfully. Dr. Mansour was proud of what I did, I grabbed all the attention, I gained great confidence.
    That day I broke the wall of fear in me, I recognized that whenever students are fully prepared for presentations they will surely succeed and won't feel stressed or afraid anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment